Science and Processing Intern
Role: Processing Intern
Acorn Biolabs is a personalized regenerative medicine company enabling individuals to leverage the power of their own cells in cosmetics, injury recovery and general health.
We offer a cell preservation service. As we age, so do our cells; over time, they become more damaged and less capable. This means that when we need our cells the most, they may be too old and ineffective to receive the full benefits of regenerative treatments.
Acorn helps with this. We provide a solution to allow individuals to collect and cryogenically freeze their own cells, sourced non-invasively from hair follicles. This halts the effects of aging, providing you with a collection of your own younger cells, ready for the future of regenerative medicine.
Next, Acorn not only acts as your cell cryopreservation resource but is also actively developing cell-based therapies, first in cosmetics and soon in general health. We have recently launched our services by partnering with Dermatologists, Plastic Surgeons, MedSpas, and Wellness Centers across North America.
Acorn is seeking a passionate and dynamic processing technician for a minimum 6-month placement. You will be primarily responsible for the commercial processing of human biological samples in accordance with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) upon the arrival of samples to our centralized lab. These samples are a lifelong resource for our clients, and diligent processing is paramount to ensure their ideal preservation. You will also aid in the creation of user-friendly scientific content for our potential customers. You should feel comfortable in the start-up environment and feel energized and rewarded when you help us achieve great results.
Please note, this role may include evenings and weekends.
Our values are important to us and set the culture of our company.
- Integrity first
- In our science, with our clients, with each other. Always.
- Be kind, supportive, respectful, and inclusive. Be humble and grateful.
- Show up
- Take pride in your work. Be dependable, accountable, and disciplined. Strive for excellence - and be agile. Add value.
- Be curious
- Ask why. Constantly learn. Create. Innovate.
- Have fun
- Enjoy life! Laugh - at yourself and with others. Be passionate about your work.
Location: Toronto / Los Angeles / Remote work arrangements possible
What You’ll Do
Cryopreservation of Human Biological Samples
- Collect, analyze and cryopreserve human biological samples in ISO-7 and ISO-5 cleanrooms in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- Handle the transfer of samples into liquid nitrogen tanks.
- Transport biological samples to and from the laboratory, when required.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, sanitation and cleaning of the cleanrooms.
- Maintain proper documentation, inclusive of batch records for all sample processing.
- Actively promote safety and awareness in the laboratory.
- Aid in the quality control process through the creation of SOPs, documentation and records.
- Actively keep up to date with current advancements in research, equipment and procedures within the hair follicle, stem cell, cryopreservation, tissue processing fields, and any other related fields.
- Conduct research in the field of human hair follicle and stem cell biology.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned or modified as required throughout the course of your employment.
Scientific Content Creation and Development
- Use relevant platforms to generate scientific and user-friendly content to be used in marketing efforts.
- Aid in the creation of a database highlighting trends in the field of stem cell biology and biotechnology.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Completed or working towards completing Bsc. or Msc. in the field of biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, cells and systems biology or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems with a high level of independence.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively present information.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Commitment to leading with humility, curiosity, and transparency, with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and dig into the work.
- Access to a car in the area around the lab facility
In our lifetime, our own cells will be the key to solving some of the biggest healthcare challenges. Providing everyone with the best opportunity to live longer, stay active, and feel better. We're excited by the potential the future will bring.
Acorn Biolabs offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, Dental, and opportunities for professional growth. Join our innovative and passionate team, and contribute to groundbreaking advancements in personalized medicine through cellular preservation in the cosmetics and aesthetics field.
Join the Acorn team and be part of something great!