Staff Engineer, Email
Remote · Canada
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Ada was founded on land that is the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee, and the Wendat peoples and is home to many First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples. We also acknowledge that Tkaronto is covered by Treaty 13 with the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Williams Treaties signed with multiple Mississaugas and Chippewa bands.
At Ada, our mission is to deliver an AI platform that makes it easy for businesses to automatically resolve the most customer support inquiries with the least effort. Our vision is a world where customer support experiences are great for everyone.
Ada is an AI-powered customer service automation platform that makes it easy for businesses to automatically resolve the greatest number of customer service conversations — across channels and languages - with the least amount of effort. Since 2016, Ada has powered more than 4 billion automated customer interactions for brands like Meta, Verizon, AirAsia, Yeti, and Square. Born in Toronto, Ada serves companies and their customers worldwide. For more information, visit www.ada.cx.
As a Staff Engineer focused helping to build a new product channel for Ada. Your work will have an immense impact on Ada as we continue to grow our company and our technology. You will be integral in building a scalable, efficient, and robust foundation for our new generative email product. As a Staff Engineer you will also operate at the cross-team level, with Product, Design and Engineering level impact. You will be expected to provide technical leadership to teams in aligning and assisting with achieving business and technical goals. This role’s planning horizon and accountability is about 6 months of forward planning.
- 10+ years of experience as a Backend/Full Stack Developer
- Proficient with backend technologies (Python is an asset)
- Strong understanding of distributed cloud systems architecture and relevant technologies
- Experience leading and managing complex software development projects with autonomy
- Experience working with public APIs to build reliable third-party integrations
- Experience providing mentorship, coaching, and technical leadership to development teams
- Experience designing and implementing scalable, highly available, and resilient software systems
- Strong understanding of non-relational databases such as MongoDB and in-memory stores such as Redis
- Strong communication skills for stakeholders at all levels
- Self-starter, problem solver and strong communicator
- Execute on our ambitious Ada product roadmap through long-term technical exploration and planning
- Be hands-on in building features, solving scaling and reliability challenges
- Provide expertise to identify areas of opportunity / innovation and help level up our current development practices
- Mentor / coach the team on technical and process improvements and foster collaborative community
- Ensure the team is providing a scalable and maintainable platform for integrations
- Raise the bar for technical excellence with a commitment to quality and reliability
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Unlimited vacation
- Wellness account
- Extended health coverage
- Dental/optical/travel insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee and family assistance plan
- Flexible work schedule
- Remote-first, In-person friendly work environment with WFH budget
- In-house social worker
- Paid parental leave for Canadian and U.S. residents
- Development opportunities
The expected salary range for this position is $111,000 to $192,000. Actual pay will be determined based on several factors such as past experience and qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities, even if you don’t meet every qualification we listed, because members of marginalized communities are less likely to apply if they don’t meet every qualification. We believe that without you, we cannot progress. At Ada, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
Our values are our fundamental driving forces for decision-making. They are the heart of what we stand for and are critical to our next phase of growth. You can learn more about our values and Ada’s founding story on our Careers page.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.