System Administrator, Linux and Backup (Hybrid - mostly remote)
Advanced Protein Technology Centre
The System Administrator (Linux and Backup) will play a key role in day-to-day IT operations, and be responsible for deploying, managing, maintaining and monitoring on premises Linux environments. The System Administrator possess excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks with exceptional attention to detail and high degree of accuracy. In this role, it is critical that the System Administrator demonstrates strong verbal and written skills paired with the ability to work courteously and effectively with all end users.
Here's What You'll Do
- Responsible for the maintenance, troubleshooting, access, and backup of various SickKids and partner organization components including operating systems, servers, system security, hardware, and other software applications.
- Installs, upgrades, support, and troubleshoot Linux operating systems, and Networker Storage Manager backups.
- Help with the supporting of the underlying infrastructure including Cisco USC and storage.
- Creates and manages system documentation, including configurations and backup procedures.
- Performs system patches and updates as needed.
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendor.
- Participates in technical design, team review and implementation of system components including new servers, hardware, software and upgrades.
- Prepares, delivers, and presents reports/results/findings in technical perspective.
- Works on multiple projects simultaneously, adapt to rapid changes in scope and agenda to meet changing deliverables.
- Available for after hours work (morning and evening) for scheduled and unscheduled events
- Available for emergency 24/7 support.
- Follows process management discipline for change and incident management of all systems managed and acts as a subject matter expert in handling the incidents.
Here's What You'll Need
- A university degree or college diploma in computer science or equivalent with 5 of related experience.
- RedHat Certified Systems Administrator
- Minimum 5 years background in support of LINUX systems (RedHat/CentOS)
- Advanced Linux scripting skills. Shell scripting and coding in bash, Perl or similar languages.
- Linux server hardening and performance tuning.
- Capacity Planning and Assessment (servers, storage and backups)
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills; strong analytical and problem-solving skill
- Understands the importance of and demonstrates commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge and apply new strategies and technologies.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and adapt to shifting priorities in workload.
- Experience with conducting Root Cause Analysis on major incidents and coordinating and executing follow-up actions.
- Experience with Incident, Change and Problem Management procedures, preferably in an ITIL driven environment.
- Proven problem-solving skills, service-oriented and solution driven.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and consensus-building skills.
- Strong drive to understand and learn on the job.
- VMWare Virtualization experience.
- CISCO UCS experience.
- EMC storage experience.
Employment Type: Full-time, Permanent.
Flexible Hybrid work environment. Join the SickKids Team; work alongside the best & brightest. Freedom to innovate & be your authentic self. Learnings galore, incl. tuition reimbursement. Wellness & Peer Support Programs. Health Benefits & DB Pension Plan.
Something looks off?