Senior Data Engineer (Cloud Native)
Alexi is a legal technology startup working towards transforming the legal services industry by building cutting-edge AI-powered solutions. We are on a long-term mission to build a truly autonomous lawyer. We are a team of software engineers and lawyers working hard to achieve our long-term mission of making the law more accessible; that is, easier to understand more quickly and affordably.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled mid to senior level Data Engineer to join our team. The Data Engineer will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the data architecture that supports our company's data pipeline. This includes data ingestion, processing, transformation, storage, and retrieval. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in data processing and cloud native infrastructure. The Data Engineer should also possess excellent problem-solving skills and be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Design and build cloud native on-demand, scalable, and elastic data pipelines in AWS
- Processing and transforming large volumes of data, in both batch mode and streaming mode, using AWS infrastructure and external third-party tools integrated within AWS.
- Develop and maintain data models and schemas for efficient data storage and retrieval
- Implement data quality and validation processes to ensure accuracy of data
- Build and maintain data warehouses
- Optimize data processing and storage for performance and cost efficiency
- Participate in the selection and evaluation of new data technologies and tools to improve the data pipeline and architecture
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- 3+ years experience in data engineering
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL, ETL processes, and data modeling
- 3+ years experience with cloud-based platforms such as AWS
- 3+ years demonstrated experience with AWS Batch Operations, AWS Data Sync, AWS Lambda, AWS RDS, AWS DynamoDB, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Snowflake, Databricks, AWS CloudFormation, Apache Spark, etc.
- 2+ years of experience using orchestration tools such as Airflow or alternative cloud native tools.
- 5+ years experience with Python, design patterns, software development
- Legally authorized to work 40 hours/week in Canada
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Built an impressive project, a cloud native pipeline previously? Show us a demo!
- Continuous learning initiatives
We are a dynamic team of engineers bringing together iterative NLP model development, high-performance systems engineering, and effective software development. Much of our work is highly experimental. We are not perfectionists, we move fast and are not afraid to be on the learning curve. A willingness to learn and a can-do attitude are must-haves to survive and thrive in this team.
As a startup, we often have to find a balance between speed, quality, and cost of development. This often requires us to think creatively and even invent what doesn’t exist. We are ambitious, we take risks, and we embrace failure in a judgment-free but accountable environment.
We work in a trust-based, mission-driven, goal-oriented, fully-remote work environment. We enable each other, but also consciously protect our time to deliver high-quality work, to help create a thriving innovation culture.
- Competitive pay plus stock options (salary $90k-$140k commensurate on experience, stock 0.1%-0.2%)
- Laptop and monitor
- Training + mentorship opportunities available
- Flexible work hours and location. We’re cool with remote work! In-person office workspace can be made available in Toronto (if required)
- Health Benefits Plan
- Annual Company Retreats IRL (otherwise fully remote)
- Additional winter holiday (Dec 25 - Jan 1)
- Opportunity for significant career advancement
- Work for a fast-growing AI startup and make an impact. We are building something legit and impactful, not just another app
If you have any questions or would like to apply for this position, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!