U.S. Research Attorney (Contractor)
We’re seeking a research attorney with exceptional research and writing skills for a flexible remote-first work environment at a growing legal AI startup.The Role & Path
As a research lawyer with Alexi, you’ll help some of the top lawyers in the country figure out the answers to their most challenging legal questions. Each day will be different, and you’ll get to work in as many practice areas as you want.
Because of the nature of our work, we have a thorough selection process in place to ensure we are bringing on the best candidates for the role. Our research lawyers start out as independent contractors. This approach allows us to evaluate your skills thoroughly while also providing you with an opportunity to determine if this is the right fit for you. Contractors are paid at a flat rate of $250.00 per memo (inclusive of any sales tax, if you charge it).
For those who are a good match, this could potentially evolve into a full-time or part-time role, depending on our needs and what you prefer. Part-time roles start at $50,000 + options and benefits. Full-time roles start at $75,000 + options and benefits. Employees are also entitled to four weeks of vacation per year.
As a Contractor, We’ll Expect You To:
- Research complex legal topics, sometimes in unfamiliar practice areas or jurisdictions;
- Craft concise and accurate memos on points of law within 24 hours;
- Diligently follow our style rules; and,
- Consistently meet deadlines.
Your Qualifications Include:
- Admission to practice law in any US state;
- Law degree;
- Exceptional legal research and writing skills;
- Willingness to research the law of any US state or federal jurisdiction;
- Interest in conducting legal research on a wide range of topics;
- A solid understanding of the legal process;
- Willingness to and aptitude for conforming your writing to a style guide;
- Comfort with ambiguity;
- A love of learning new things;
- Reliable and secure internet access; and,
- Comfort using and learning technologies like Google Hangouts, Zoom, Slack, legal research databases, search engines, Internet browsers, word processors, etc.
You’ll Stand Out If You:
- Have prior experience as a research lawyer;
- Have litigation experience;
- Have experience in legal publishing, journalism, or other writing-related fields;
- Are admitted to the bars of multiple jurisdictions;
- Have your own subscription to a legal research service;
- Live in an unusual timezone;
- Are willing to work weekends;
- Are an early-adopter and a fan of technology; and/or
- Have a rudimentary understanding of AI and how it works.
What We’ll Pay You:
- $250 flat rate per memo, including any applicable sales tax.
Alexi is a remote-first company. That means you can do your work from anywhere in the world. We also believe in flexibility—so while we all get together for important team meetings, we are generally open to accommodating most preferred work schedules. Are you a 9-5er? Great. More of a 10-6 person? No problem. A 4PM-Midnight night owl? Welcome aboard. The same goes with respect to days of the week—we’re flexible.
We communicate using Slack, Zoom, and other modern tools. Our culture is one of excellence and empathy. We always strive to produce top-notch work while helping each other out. We enable each other to operate at a very high level, so although much of our work is individual, we value a strong team spirit.
As a contractor, you will be able to set your own hours and choose what you work on.The Selection Process
This is a non-traditional and writing-focused role, so we welcome cover letters explaining your interest and demonstrating your abilities. However, excellent candidates will not be penalized for not including a cover letter.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the application period is closed. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we cannot provide individual feedback to each applicant. However, we will let you know by e-mail if you were selected to move forward within three weeks of the closing date.
If you are selected to move forward, you will be offered an interview slot. During the interview we will discuss your qualifications and your interest in Alexi. If you are successful at that stage, you will be asked to write a memo, for which you will be paid. If we are happy with your work then you will be offered a contractor position. On average, between 3-5% of applicants will be offered a contractor role. From then on, we will work together to see if you are a good fit for the Alexi Team on a longer-term basis.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process. If you require accommodation, reach out in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accommodation” and the hiring manager will be in touch.
Applications close at 23:59 EST on September 24, 2023.