Borrowell is a Canadian company whose mission is to make financial prosperity possible for everyone. The first in Canada to offer free credit scores, Borrowell provides educational resources, monitoring, innovative digital tools, and personalized product recommendations to help people feel in control and optimistic about their financial future.
With more than 2 million members, Borrowell is one of the largest fintech companies in Canada. To support us on our mission, we’re building an exceptional team of high-performing yet humble individuals who believe Canadians deserve more choice when it comes to financial services.
We place a high value on building a diverse and inclusive workplace and are proud to have a gender-balanced team. We know that diverse teams perform better; half of our team identify as women or non-binary.
We’re always on the lookout for passionate and driven people. If you think you’d be a great fit at Borrowell, read on to learn more about us and how our business works!
About the Role:
Borrowell is looking for an Accounting Manager to play a key role in supporting Borrowell’s growth in 2024 and beyond. Borrowell’s finance team supports all areas of our business, internal and external stakeholders.
As a member of the finance team and reporting to the Sr. Manager, FP&A, the Accounting Manager will bring an operational mindset and will be directly responsible for the supervision of day-to-day financial responsibilities and ensure accurate financial reporting for period end closes including consolidated financial and tax reporting. We are looking for someone detail-oriented, with experience with internal controls and accounting memos, and a strong leader comfortable with other cross-functional teams.
The candidate in this role will also have an exciting opportunity to play a key role in shaping accounting processes and reporting for new areas of growth. If you have an experimentation mindset, like to use data to achieve scalable growth, and are excited about making financial prosperity possible for everyone, this is the role for you.
- Manage the day-to-day accounting and finance operations (e.g. general ledger reconciliations, bank reconciliations, month-end journal entries, payroll and sales tax remittances) while mentoring and managing direct reports
- Lead the annual audit
- Safeguard company assets through compliance with internal controls, accounting standards and policies
- Assist with other initiatives and projects as they arise such as forecasting/budgeting, implementing policies etc.
- 4+ years of experience in accounting/finance functions using IFRS
- CPA designation
- Strong communication skills to articulate plans, impact, challenges and results clearly to a range of audiences including subject matter experts, cross-functional team members and broader business stakeholders
- Ability to make data-driven decisions from interpreting and analyzing large sets of data; experience using tools such as Excel, Looker, Tableau, and/or other business Intelligence (BI) tools
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working in a startup/scale-up environment in the B2C fintech, accounting firms, and/or a keen interest in personal finance
- Experience working with loan products
- Experience with Intuit Quickbooks Online (QBO) and/or Xero
- The Opportunity - join and have a major impact at a growing company that is helping make financial stability possible for everybody
- Comprehensive Health Benefits - medical, dental, vision, and paramedical health benefits for you and your family, with extra yearly coverage for psychotherapists and massage therapists
- Additional Health Benefits - virtual benefit offering that allows you to connect 24/7 with nurses, doctors and mental health professionals
- Maternity & Parental Leave Top-up - available to new parents
- Wellness & Transit Benefit - $600 annually to spend on whatever brings you joy
- WFH Reimbursement - we ship you gear like a laptop, mouse, keyboard, and you can reimburse additional items to make your workplace better for you
- Employee Development Benefit - annual reimbursements on payments to help your learning
- Givewell Benefit - 1 paid volunteer day a year to give back to the community
- Flexibility - flexible working hours and a flexible vacation policy
We are remote-first across Canada. Our offices are located in Toronto and Kelowna, with teams distributed primarily in Ontario and BC.
At Borrowell, one of our core values and firm beliefs is that diversity makes us better. If you’re unsure about your qualifications for this position, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re looking for candidates who have experience, but know that not everyone’s had a chance to demonstrate what they can do. What’s most important is that you have a growth mindset and care about helping people with their finances - an area in their lives that causes a lot of stress.
Please note that due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, clearing a credit and criminal record check is a condition of employment.
By submitting your application you consent to Borrowell's use and processing of your personal information in connection with your job application at Borrowell and its recruitment processes.
Borrowell encourages applications from candidates with differing abilities. Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage in the selection process.