Senior Game Level Designer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Dark Slope is an entertainment company with a singular focus to make the impossible, possible. With advanced motion capture and virtual production technologies, Dark Slope develops genre defining television programs and unforgettable immersive games for our original IP, co-productions and clients including NBC Universal, Nickelodeon, MTV, Warner Media, NBC, and TVOntario amongst others. Dark Slope is recognized as a Realscreen Trailblazer for its impact on the scripted and unscripted industries (2023), as well as a North America Deloitte Technology Fast 500™ (2022) and Canadian Deloitte Technology Fast 50™ (2022) company.
Dark Slope is looking for a Senior Game-Level Designer to work on a VR action game for Meta Quest 2! The ideal candidate has experience working in VR titles and Unreal Engine. In this role you will create immersive gameplay that enhances the core mechanics and creative vision of the game. You ensure balance between game aesthetics and technical limitations, and contribute greatly to the final game.
- Collaborate with the art, design, animation, and programming team members to develop unique and interesting game mechanics and levels
- Understand, protect, and communicate the game vision to the rest of the team and other stakeholders
- Propose solutions, ideate new features, and participate in creative sessions to improve the game or solve problems
- Create procedural level rules that control the structure of a level, enemy spawners, and target locations, taking into consideration rhythm and pacing, and difficulty curve
- Design and document game mechanics and support their implementation with the rest of the departments until completion
- Prepare presentations and communicate with diverse stakeholders
- Conduct gameplay evaluations with the team, providing feedback and suggestions to help fine-tune and improve the game
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years experience as a games Level Designer and significant contribution to shipped titles
- Deep understanding of gameplay, game development processes and game engagement
- Understanding of Unreal Engine and Blueprint programming, and other map designing and editing packages
- Problem-solving ability and unique storytelling skills
- Excellent visualization skills combined with good spatial and layout design skills
- Good sense of aesthetics, design, colours and an eye for composition
- Experience working in Virtual Reality titles is a plus
- Degree in Game Design, Computer Science or equivalent experience is a plus
- Legal authorization to work in Canada and located in Canada
At Dark Slope, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all candidates, and we recognize the importance of diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We appreciate unique perspectives that stem from diverse lived experiences. We prioritize transparency in all aspects of our operations and work to maintain an open, honest, and efficient workplace. We encourage unconventional thinking, and we are willing to accommodate your individual needs to support your success. Dark Slope is happy to work with applicants who require accommodations at any point during the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
See more open positions at Dark Slope
Something looks off?