e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Raised more than CAD $75M in equity
- Investors include Toyota Ventures, Eni Next, BDC, Evok Innovations, and Anzu Partners
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100 two years in a row (2022 and 2023) as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- $1M grand prize winner of Impact Canada's Charging the Future Challenge
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Awarded a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
Reporting to the Lead Systems Engineer and working within the Engineering Administration team, the Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Product Engineer is responsible for the definition and development of the e-Zinc BESS product based on customer use cases, applicable regulations, and the roadmap for e-Zinc’s commercial products. This role will focus on product scope and requirements which consider function, manufacturing, maintenance, support, logistics, phase-out, and disposal of the e-Zinc BESS product system including the cell, BMS, power systems, and containerization. Additionally, the Product Engineer is expected to play dynamic roles in participating or leading specific projects within the Engineering Team. This role is based out of our facility in Etobicoke, Ontario.
- Consider all customer, stakeholder, technical, programmatic, and safety requirements when evaluating the inputs necessary to achieve a successful product
- Create documentation such as Product Requirement Documents that accurately reflect the needs of both the business and clients
- Determine the overall scope of needs for the product system from concept, through feasibility, detailed design, and cross-functional NPI
- Generate and manage requirements for e-Zinc products and systems as well as off-the-shelf hardware/software products incorporated into e-Zinc products and systems
- Evaluate costs, system architectures, and operational requirements for customer use cases
- Consider all interactions between the different elements of the product system
- Analyze for any potential incompatibilities with interfaces as early as possible
- Understand the limitations of testing and any assumptions that are made
- Monitor and report on e-Zinc internal and customer field installation performance, support issues, feature requests, and change requests
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) on overall BESS and interfacing subsystems as required
- Work with the Engineering Project Manager to ensure BESS product scope and requirements are captured in workplans and schedules are built out accordingly
- Work closely with the engineering teams to ensure designs meet requirements and review verification and validation testing to identify deficiencies & corrective actions
- Support engineering team during commissioning, operations, and service of e-Zinc BESS installations
- Work with the VP Engineering to support engineering cost estimations and total cost of ownership of system to the customer
- Significant experience in an NPI role taking a product through its life-cycle, ideally relating to Battery Energy Storage, Electric Vehicle (EV), or renewable power products
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Engineering Science, Electrical, System Design, or related engineering field
- Wide range of interest and knowledge base in multiple engineering disciplines; ability to quickly grasp and develop a working knowledge of the subject matter from chemical, electrical, electronics and firmware/software disciplines to develop engineering solutions at a system level
- Registered with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) or ability to qualify
- Superior time management and organizational skills
- A self-starter and adaptive learner
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentations
- Advanced degrees, significant industry, and field experience are preferred
- Experience with Simulink and Requirement Management Tools
- Background in Control Systems Development
- Solid understanding and experience in associated regulatory, safety, product design and development of new energy storage products
- Passionate about bringing cleantech energy innovation to market
- Experience with Microgrid control, Energy Management Systems (EMS), Behind-The-Meter storage, Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging, Automotive Development, Aerospace Development, Solar and Wind power generation, Distributed Energy Resources (DER), and related Power flow and Energy modeling
Studies show that individuals in underrepresented groups tend to not apply for roles if they feel they do not meet all the listed criteria. If you find you are passionate about a role and meet a good portion of the items listed, we encourage you to apply!
At e-Zinc we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where we consider, celebrate, and embrace diversity. We thrive in an environment of mutual respect and welcome all applicants.
Something looks off?