Staff Embedded Engineer, Cameras
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
This role is open to being 100% remote within Canada and the UK, and while our home office is in Toronto, Ontario, we have a satellite office in Leeds, UK as well. You may be required to travel to one of our offices, once per quarter for team and/or company events.
Who you'll be joining
Our Embedded Team is made up of 20+ Embedded Developers with a wide variety of specialties, skill sets, backgrounds, and experiences. They aim to bring their Embedded experience to the cross-functional squads that they are a part of, with a focus on collaboration, learning and development.
How you'll make an impact
As a Staff Embedded Engineer, you will be responsible for helping develop the software that powers our Camera products. This covers the entire image processing engine, person/motion/object detection AI, Alexa/Siri/HomeKit support, and many other features. In addition to Cameras we also develop devices that run on a multitude of platforms from small, battery operated microcontrollers to full-blown multicore embedded Linux systems.
As part of the embedded team, you will also participate across a wide breadth of the technologies that get built into our devices making each day a unique challenge. You may be working on portions of the low-level software/hardware interactions, but equally important is the development of the user applications that run on device. Everything from network protocols, to control algorithms to building enticing graphic UI’s.
Aside from the in-house technologies, the embedded team is also responsible for integrating many third-party services. Most notable is ecobee being the first Smart Thermostat in the market to natively support Apple HomeKit, Apple Siri and Amazon Alexa, bringing a wonderfully rich user experience to our customers.
To accomplish all of this, at any given time you may be working closely with developers from other teams within ecobee and Generac as well as 3rd party tech companies. You will also be working closely with people from QA, Server software development, Product Management, Manufacturing and Hardware.
What you'll bring to the table
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you, we would love to chat!
- C/C++ development experience, knowledge of GoLang and Python is an asset
- Object-oriented design and coding skills with knowledge of data structures and design patterns
- Multi-threaded design and coding practices
- Image sensor software/drivers, image processing (scaling/rotation), webrtc
- Knowledge of ARM architecture-based processors and development tools
- Aptitude in programming for reliability and testability
- Knowledge of Home Automation, Control Systems, Camera technology, or Internet of Things
- Knowledge of embedded Linux systems and yocto
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will be done by a member of our Talent Acquisition team. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone or video call with a member of Talent Acquisition.
- A 1-hour virtual interview with the team—expect technical, behavioural, and situational questions.
- A final round broken into two parts:
- A take-home case study to be completed in advance of the the second half of the final round.
- Followed by a 1-hour virtual interview with members of the team where you'll present your solution of the case study's challenge.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?