Senior Director, Business Development
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who’ll You Be Joining:
Our hive headquartered in Toronto is looking for a new Senior Director of Business Development! We are a team with a passion to build world class products and services. We’re full of creative ideas and drive to bring them to life.
You will be developing and leading a Business Development function for ecobee; building and delivering a long-term strategic business development strategy to support our mission to build a more sustainable future. You will be the face of ecobee for our partners and work closely with internal leadership to ensure we can deliver innovative and delightful customer experiences.
Ideally, you have worked in business development at a world-class organization (regardless of its size), and have experience managing complex contract negotiations and business requirements. You will be expected to identify business opportunities and cultivate senior level relationships to drive joint value for partners and for ecobee customers. You will work closely with Product Management, Product Marketing, and the Chief Revenue Officer to deliver partnership needs that support company strategies.
This role is open to being 100% remote within North America although our home office is in Toronto, Ontario. You may be required to travel to Toronto, Canada once per quarter for team and/or company events.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Own the vision and strategy of business development across ecobee
- Develop and execute the strategic business development plan for ecobee while working with key internal stakeholders to deliver the plan
- Draft, negotiate and close deal terms with partner organization, working closely with Finance and Legal, and securing support and approval from C-suite leaders
- Provide advice and guidance on mergers and acquisitions working with the Generac corporate strategy team as the representative for ecobee
- Work with the product organization to define and prioritize requirements for partner integrations, ensure integrations are built on schedule, and that partners have the resources they need to build.
- Define and prove out the partnership revenue strategy, establishing key performance indicators to measure success
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- 5+ years of work experience within or across business development, corporate strategy, and strategy consulting, MBA preferred
- Ability to build and deliver business opportunities that deliver a return on investment (ROI)
- Experience developing strategy grounded in customer and market insights (market opportunity identification, market mapping, strategic positioning, playbooks, research)
- A ‘builder’s mindset’ with proven track record of developing new business models, securing funding and closing complex negotiations
- Exceptional communicator and consensus-builder, who can independently operate with C-suite stakeholders internally and externally
- A leader with experience recruiting, managing and developing talent, and the ability to design an effective business development organization
- Deep understanding of business operations and planning
What happens after you apply:
- Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-40 minute phone call with a member in Talent Acquisition
- A first round virtual interview with the VP, Product – expect technical, behavioural and situational questions
- A second-round 1-1 interviews with members of leadership and cross functional teams. These will be 3 one-hour interviews.
- For the third and final round, you can expect a take-home case study that you will present to members of the Leadership team. We will allocate 90-minutes for this interview.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?