Hardware Engineer, Verification
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who You'll Be Joining
As a Hardware Engineer, you will be working from our hive headquartered downtown Toronto or our Waterloo office Four (4) days a week and One (1) day from home. You will be pivotal in ensuring that every product we ship is stamped with engineering approval for quality and reliability. Collaborating with other members of the Hardware Engineering team, you will play a key role in maintaining our reputation for reliable, robust, and high-quality products, where customer experience is paramount.
With your strong background in electrical engineering concepts, schematic analysis, simulations, circuit debugging, and instrumentation, you will carefully review both legacy and new products.
Additionally, you will develop and execute test plans to validate the designs, leveraging your expertise within a condensed workweek schedule.
How You'll Make an Impact
- Creating and executing engineering design verification test plans
- Preparing and executing reliability test plans to increase confidence in warranty and service life targets
- Conducting highly accelerated life tests (HALT) to expose device vulnerabilities and improve designs
- Designing and building test instrumentation systems to standardize and automate experiments and data capture of many concurrent DUT simultaneously Conducting and reviewing Gage repeatability and reproducibility analyses as well as yield reports and production test issue resolution
- Documentation and report creation of tests completed
- Analyzing experimentation results and engineering reports from others to issue approval or rejection
- Identifying component alternates and creating test plans to validate substitutions to reduce BOM cost or mitigate supply chain issues
- Environmental, ESD, Surge, EFT and compliance testing of new and existing products
- Prototyping of new circuits before inclusion into production programs
- Creating of Production Test Plans, Test scripts and Production Test Fixtures
- Providing recommendations on design integrity and issuing recommendation to proceed to mass production
- Designing Printed Circuit Boards intended to prototype new circuits, create fixtures, development tools or other uses
What You'll Bring to the Table
- Skilled with hardware design validation and test execution
- Schematic design and review experience
- Printed Circuit Board review experience
- Hardware debugging and root cause analysis experience
- Skilled with analog and high-speed digital circuit analysis
- Familiarity with oscilloscope, DAQ, DMM, thermal chamber, spectrum analyzer, VNA among other lab equipment
- Ability to solder and rework electronic SMT components including 0201
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check
Nice to have skills:
- Printed Circuit Board design
- Firmware development in C++ for MCU applications
- Embedded Linux development
- Python or other scripting for embedded control and automation of testing
- Reliability and Design for Reliability experience
- Wireless testing including TRP, TIS and conducted measurements
- De-sense investigations
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone/video call with a member in Talent Acquisition.
- A first round virtual interview with the Hiring Manager and Team- expect technical, behavioral, and situational questions.
- A take home Technical case. We tend to give about 5 days to submit the take home.
- The case presentation! A 1hour interview (40 minutes to present and 20 minutes for Q&A)
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office, hybrid or fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe. As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting our interviews and onboarding sessions through video. New team members will also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?