Senior Director of Engineering, Common Platform
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who You’ll be Joining:
The Common Platform group is a collection of teams responsible for the creation of unified experiences within ecobee and Generac’s ecosystem of connected devices. This platform is foundational to enabling the Single Pane of Glass experience that allow our devices to seamlessly integrate with one another and intuitively meet the needs of our customers.
As a Senior Director of Engineering you’ll be a lead of leads, responsible for multiple Senior Engineering Managers and their teams who are responsible for the continuous development and operation of a multi-tier shared service platform used across all lines of ecobee’s business.
You’ll report into ecobee’s VP of Engineering and can expect a highly collaborative environment where you’ll engage with leaders from Product Management, Product Design, Data Science, other Engineering teams and more!
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Senior Director of Engineering for ecobee’s Cloud and Mobile Platform, you’ll lead the Common Platform group where you’ll own the design, development and maintenance of innovative software solutions that set ecobee apart as an industry leader in the IoT and Smart Home spaces.
You’ll shepherd the growth of our engineering culture to ensure we both build and maintain a work environment we can be proud of and that all ecopeeps thrive in. You’ll foster an environment of operational excellence and inspire others to embrace the growth-mindset needed to deliver high-quality software quickly.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You like to continuously challenge yourself and the status quo by finding new and better ways to deliver best-in-class software. Working systems design, delivery process and operational excellence are in your comfort zone.
- You drive great execution of the teams and projects you are responsible for.
- You’re a master of and advocate for the craft of software development and its best practices including automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, design patterns, etc.
- You establish high standards for APIs and software services, ensuring that our systems, infrastructure, tools, process, and documentation deliver an enjoyable and frictionless developer experience.
- You believe in and rely on metrics to continuously assess and improve software quality, operational health, and fiscal efficiency.
- You architect repeatable, scalable process, ceremonies, and methodologies that enable teams to autonomously set appropriate expectations, manage risks, allocate people, and remove blockers.
- You ensure your teams continuously improve by setting clear direction, meaningful KPIs, timely retrospectives, and by identifying areas for improvement. You help set inspirational stretch goals that help your teams unlock their best work.
- You foster a positive, supportive, and inclusive work environment.
- You have insights into how to coach and mentor everyone who rolls up to you whether they be a junior engineer, staff engineer, or senior manager.
- You value and understand the importance of empathy and curiosity in the engineers you hire, and the impact those qualities have on the team they join.
- You own your team’s delivery and manage your stakeholders by providing accurate estimates and timelines while mitigating risk.
- You build strong partnerships with other leaders in Product, UX and Engineering in order to strategically shape your company’s overall vision on both the product and technical level.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, which you utilize to bring everyone along on a journey together with a clear, shared understanding.
Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What Technologies We Use:
- 80% Go-Lang, 10% Java, 10% Python
- GitHub Actions (CI/CD), CircleCI
- Edge / service
- Heterogeneous cloud platforms: GCP & AWS - Proxies - envoy, HAProxy
- Distributed tracing for heterogeneous systems (Jager, honeycomb, etc...)
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and AWS
- CloudSQL, PubSub, Cloud Run, DataStore, BigQuery, Dataflow, etc.
- Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker
What happens after you apply?
Application Review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
Interview Process (3 stages):
- Round 1: A 45-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition
- Round 2 is broken into two separate interviews;
- Part 1: A 60-minute interview with one of ecobee's Senior Engineering Leaders held over Microsoft Teams.
- Part 2: A 60-minute interview with a VP of Engineering from our parent company Generac held over Microsoft Teams.
- Round 3 is broken into two separate interviews as well;
- Part 1: A 60-minute interview with ecobee's VP of Product Management held over Microsoft Teams.
- Part 2: A 60-minute interview with one of ecobee's VP of Engineering held over Microsoft Teams.
- Round 4: A 60-minute presentation case study presentation to the panel of interviewers you met in Rounds 2 and 3. (Case study materials and instructions are provided in advance for you to prepare.)
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.