Data Engineering Developer
Data Engineering Developer – Job Description
GHGSat offers greenhouse gas detection, measurement, and monitoring services to industrial and government customers around the world. We use our own satellites and aircraft sensors, combined with third-party data, to help industrial emitters better understand, control, and reduce their emissions.
GHGSat’s capability is unique: we provide high-resolution, local measurements of atmospheric methane and carbon dioxide concentration from space. This further enables to detect greenhouse gas emitters and to visualize and quantify their emissions.
Reporting to the Spectra lead, GHGSat is looking for an innovative and experienced Data Engineering Developer. As part of a cross-functional team deployed around Agile Scrum, you will be designing, developing and supporting the data engineering platform. Your responsibilities will include writing ETL workflows, tests, analyzing data, and contributing to the design and implementation of software. Overall, you have an excellent knowledge of data structures, databases, modern ETL stack, streaming pipelines and a strong motivation in tackling the important environmental issues that our planet faces today.
- Evaluate, deploy, develop, integrate, test and maintain databases, data transformation frameworks and API,
- Optimize data structures, schema, queries for most frequent usage,
- Convert cron-based pipelines to event-driven or streaming,
- Persist all configurations as code (IaC),
- Design System Architecture collectively with the team, revisit regularly,
- Maintain and ensure High Availability of GHGSat data platform,
- Follow emerging technologies, suggest new initiatives,
- Collaborate with DevOps, Frontend, Backend and Fullstack developers,
- Collaborate with other Data Engineers, share best practices and converge to a common platform for GHGSat Data Products,
- Evangelize, train other members to Data Engineering best practices, provide constructive code reviews,
- Evangelize Agile Scrum best practices,
- Expert in SQL, document, in-memory databases (PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB),
- Expert in micro-services and API development, Python programming,
- Comfortable configuring and deploying services on AWS, Kubernetes, Argo CD/Workflows, data storage to AWS S3,
- Expertise in Database queries, transformations, schema migration (e.g. python alembic),
- Expert in one Data Storage format (e.g. Apache Parquet)
- Proven records performing data optimizations,
- Experience with GIS and Mapping apps (Mapbox, Leaflet, GeoJSON, GeoTIFF)
- Able to demonstrate work results,
- Able to influence peer developers,
- Agile supporter towards team autonomy,
- Proven record tackling data engineering challenges: Big Data, Stateful problems, asynchronous workers, type-matching
Nice to have:
- Exposure to Django Python web framework and its data model,
- Experience with ArgoCD, Terraform,
- Some exposure to compiled languages (Go, Rust, C++)
- Exposure to Test-Driven Development methodology and DevOps practices,
- Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant roles
- Able to obtain Canadian government security clearance
- Fluent in French and English
GHGSat offers a creative and highly-motivating work environment. We offer competitive salaries, health and social benefits including flex-time and continuing development. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. GHGSat is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Please submit your application via LinkedIn including a cover letter and résumé. Only selected candidates will be contacted.