Senior Manager, Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
About HiMama and Our Mission:
HiMama is improving learning outcomes for children aged zero to five. We are a social purpose business and certified B Corporation that connects families with the early childhood professionals who serve them. Our goal is to empower early childhood educators with affordable tools that enable them to improve developmental outcomes for the children they work with, while educating parents about the importance of their work. If you are excited about being part of a high-growth tech company focused on making a difference in a highly impactful industry, HiMama is the place for you!
Are you excited about leading teams, designing and improving processes, and developing organizational structures that enable teams to succeed? Does the idea of coaching a collaborative and ambitious team of user-focused software engineers in a high-growth environment sound like your dream job? Are you excited about being part of a tech startup that's grounded in social cause and early education? Then we want YOU to join our team.
What’s Engineering at HiMama like?
We work in an agile squad format, collaborating closely with product managers and designers to quickly deliver high-impact outcomes to our users. Engineering managers at HiMama are responsible for the success of their team’s work, from scoping to delivery, as well as the performance and growth of individuals on their teams.
From feature enhancements to the core product, ground-up engineering on brand-new architecture, data scaling, and system performance on Android, iOS, and web-based applications, our small engineering team does it ALL. And HiMama will rely on you to help us grow and mature as an Engineering organization and help your team deliver great experiences directly to our users.
Engineering at HiMama requires being an adept problem solver that is hardworking and motivated to get stuff done while bringing out the best in the team and individuals.
Key Product Stats:
500 Million Moments, with 300 push notifications being sent per second
500 Thousand Users, with a new User being added every minute
HiMama’s product can be easily visualized in three distinct parts:
Teachers - For early childhood educators, HiMama is an in-classroom tool for daily documentation, learning & development recording and planning, and communication with parents.
Administrators - For preschool owners/directors, HiMama is a back-office tool for monitoring center activity, administrative reporting, collecting tuition payments, and communicating with parents.
Parents - For families, HiMama is a direct window into their child’s life at daycare: Everything from meal details to photos to learning milestones. And of course, a direct line of communication to their child care center.
What You'll be Doing:
- Manage the professional and technical growth and development of a diverse team of engineers through regular 1:1s, feedback, objectives setting, tracking career growth, etc.
- Continuously improve engineering practices and processes within your team and the engineering organization
- Take a leadership role in our recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes & maintain our commitment to diversity, inclusion and belonging
- Collaborate across teams to design, build, and ship great experiences for our users
- Bring a passion to stay on top of industry trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, and participate in internal and external technical communities
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, and self-organization
- Shape and scale our HiMama engineering and company culture as we continue to grow
What We're Looking For:
- Someone who enjoys mentoring and coaching others, inclusive of all backgrounds and in all levels of career development
- Someone who loves to see teams working well and will identify and implement new processes in order to do so
- A strong understanding of how to plan, build, test, and maintain complex software applications
- An adept communicator who ensures everyone is on the same page to execute as a team
- A collaborative owner who takes a personal stake in the success of the product and the team to deliver great work and celebrate wins
- A strong focus on results, including communicating and solving problems as they arrive
- Propensity to always want to learn and improve
- Ambition to work hard in order to make an impact through our social mission of improving child outcomes
- 3+ years of experience leading and/or managing software development teams
- 5+ years experience with Ruby on Rails (or similar MVC framework)
Don’t have all the requirements but convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you!
• Flexible working arrangements, with the option to work from our vibrant downtown Toronto office or work remotely
• Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision
• Paid time off, including vacation, personal days, paid sick days, and paid volunteer days
• Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
• Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations
HiMama is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include but are not limited to: alternative methods of communication, providing a detailed “what to expect”, or modified testing. Please note this list is not exhaustive and we are more than happy to discuss other accommodations as required. If you have questions about HiMama's accommodation process, connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to HiMama's core values. HiMama aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at HiMama through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.