Senior Membrane, Process Development Engineer
Ionomr Innovations Inc.
Ionomr Innovations Inc., is an award-winning start-up company head-quartered in Vancouver. Ionomr is developing and producing a revolutionary Hydrocarbon Ion Exchange material needed to enable an energy future based upon Hydrogen. Our advanced material solutions unlock the future of the Hydrogen economy by providing the underlying technology necessary to drive cost effective Electrochemical systems that ensure a plentiful, sustainable, renewable, and Carbon Free source of energy. Our company has received a variety of industry acknowledgements to date including being recently selected Royal Dutch Shell and NREL for inclusion in their GCxN program which is focused on supporting companies developing tech to enable the transition away from fossil fuels. Other recent honors include being acknowledged by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and the Cleantech Group’s Global Cleantech 100 award. We are currently seeking a candidate to fill a full-time position as a Sr. Membrane Process Development Engineer. The role will be based at either our location on the campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver or at our new Technology Center located in Rochester New York.
- Lead and execute the technical deliverables and technologies necessary in the design and commercialization of new membrane products, as well as the optimization of existing membrane products
- Where appropriate, use statistical design of experiments to deliver, as well as inventing, developing, and implementing new technologies into our membrane products portfolio
- Following your ideas from the lab to the market – use your creativity, commitment, drive and the rigor required, to transform new products from laboratory-scale to commercial volume reality
- Explain the behavior of membrane materials using a balanced approach of empirical, computational, and theoretical tools
- Work collaboratively with other project team members (e.g. membrane scientists, application engineers, manufacturing engineers, assembly/automation engineers, and QA) to ensure the products meet the user needs and design specifications
- Create strategies for verification and validation, perform verification tests, and conduct analysis of the test results to ensure complete verification of the requirements and validation of system performance
- Characterize all aspects of process variables (inputs/outputs) of membrane manufacturing processes
- Inspection of incoming R2R membranes for adherence to required specifications such as thickness, polymer loading and quantities of defects
- Observe and participate in R2R coating trials at 3rd party sites to provide advice as required
- Partner with operations resources to develop test methods and establish quality controls for new materials/processes
- Summarize experimental strategies and data analysis in written reports and presentations for communication with peers, customers, and various levels of management
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications for the position are:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Polymer Science, or Material Science, Chemical/Mechanical Engineering and minimum ten to fifteen years of work experience
- 5 to 7 years of experience with casting and coating techniques to make both monolithic and reinforced membranes
- Mechanical aptitude and history of hands-on ability
- Knowledgeable of polymer and solvent processing and material compatibility
- Competency with working effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Advanced knowledge in electro-chemistry fundamentals, analytical testing methods, and hands-on experimental development
- Proven ability to plan and manage own activities to deliver on budget and schedule
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex technology issues in a clear, concise manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated with interest and ability to thrive in a technology start-up environment
Interested candidates should forward their CV and a brief Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, for immediate consideration.
Ionomr values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity, and encourages applications from women, people with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples, and visible minorities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates but only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Something looks off?