Senior DevOps Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
At Mysa, we make smart thermostats! As the only company to offer a solution for all available types of HVAC systems, our vision is to make smart home energy management tech that keeps folks comfortable and builds a better future for our planet.
We’re looking for a highly motivated Senior DevOps Engineer to join our team in St. John’s, NL or remotely in Canada!
The Senior DevOps Engineer on the Mysa team will be responsible for developing highly scalable and reliable software using our modern software stack (Node, DynamoDB and ReactNative, running on AWS and Azure) that engages hundreds of thousands of customers and connected devices interacting with our cloud service!
Our team is small but mighty, and we thrive in a collaborative team environment where everyone works together to achieve common goals. The embodiment of our #WeBeforeMe mindset is crucial as this is one of our company's core values!
As the Senior DevOps Engineer for the DevOps Team, you will be responsible for:
- Manage and administer cloud environments primarily on AWS, with experience in Azure, ensuring reliability, scalability, and security.
- Implement and maintain robust monitoring solutions to proactively identify and address issues, with a focus on AWS CloudWatch and Azure Monitor.
- Monitor cloud resource usage and costs, identifying opportunities for optimization and cost savings, while ensuring efficient resource allocation.
- Lead and automate deployment processes using DevOps best practices, leveraging tools like AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambda, Azure DevOps, and Docker containers.
- Implement and maintain Infrastructure as Code (IaC) using tools like AWS CDK, Terraform, or Azure Resource Manager, ensuring reproducibility and scalability.
- Work with Docker containers and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes to manage and scale containerized applications.
- Collaborate with security teams to implement and enhance security practices, including access control, encryption, and compliance in cloud environments.
The ideal candidate:
- Diploma/Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field combined with software development training
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant software development work experience
- Proficiency in AWS services and Azure services, with a strong focus on infrastructure management, networking, and security.
- Experience with cloud resource provisioning, configuration, and management using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools like AWS CloudFormation.
- Knowledge of cloud security best practices, including identity and access management (IAM), encryption, and network security groups.
- Strong expertise in automating deployments using CI/CD pipelines and tools like Github Actions or Circle CI.
- Expertise in setting up and configuring monitoring and alerting systems, such as AWS CloudWatch, Azure Monitor, New Relic, or ELK.
- Proven experience in incident response and troubleshooting based on monitoring alerts.
- Proficiency in scripting languages like Python for automation tasks, including configuration management and orchestration.
- Analytical thinker, with a creative mind, and an adaptable nature
- Ability to work well on your own, or as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly present solutions, while efficiently multi-tasking various priorities
Since entering the market in 2018, Mysa Smart Thermostats have been warmly welcomed into customers’ homes, earning thousands of 5-star reviews. More recently we’ve been recognized not only for creating an outstanding product, but also for being a top-notch employer - earning awards such as Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers, Atlantic Canada’s Top Employers and TechNL’s Company of the Year!
Our mission is to fight climate change. As the first (and only!) smart thermostat for high-voltage electric baseboard heating, Mysa creates thoughtful, innovative technology designed to help homeowners across North America save money by using energy more efficiently. To help us build a greener, more sustainable future, we’re expanding our product lines rapidly across various markets, while fostering a unique company culture that brings out the best in our team.
What’s in it for you?
-A rewarding career path that helps you learn, grow, and showcase your talent
-An environment in which you are recognized and appreciated for what you do
-Unlimited paid vacation. Yep. Unlimited. Paid. Vacation (within reason, of course!)
-Flexible environment (work from home, a coffee shop, or a blanket fort - wherever you’re most comfortable)
-Flexible hours (no set ‘office hours’— you work 40 hours per week and meet your role requirements)
-Training and Development Allowance Program
-Health and Wellness Allowance Program
-Competitive salary structure
-Annual salary increases
-Employee Stock Option Purchase Plan
-Comprehensive Group Health, Dental and Vision Benefit Plan
Feeling intrigued? Enticed? Here are some extra perks:
-Modern, open, fun office environment (we work hard, but we’re not scared of a good time)
-Dynamic downtown location with free parking
-Fun, quarterly team-building events
-Fully-stocked Snack Center, starring lots of healthy options (and plenty of ‘treat yourself’ favourites)
-Company-provided pizza lunch every Friday (because every Friday should be awesome, not just pay days!)
-New pair of high-quality sound reducing headphones
-Credit towards a smart home product purchase and a free Mysa Thermostat for your home
-Innovative workflow software and technology (we’re major Slackers — internal communications have never been more awesome)
Simply put, we know that people are the heart of our business and we appreciate your unique qualities and diverse experiences. If this opportunity sounds amazing and you feel that you’re a great fit for most of the listed criteria, you should apply — we value individual abilities over a profile on paper.
Mysa is an equal opportunity employer focused on promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We value diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us all different. Your application to this posting is deemed to be consent to the collection, use, and necessary disclosure of personal information to facilitate our recruitment process. We respect the confidentiality and privacy of all of our applicants.
Thanks for thinking about making Mysa your work home. We look forward to getting to know you.