Accounting & Finance
Remote · Canada
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
We’re building our Nest!
Where you’ll be: Working remotely, anywhere in Canada (in EST)
Your Role: Staff Accountant
Reporting to: Samiksha Khanna
Who We Are:
Founded in 2014, Nest Wealth created Canada's first SaaS-based digital wealth management platform to ensure investors have access to sophisticated, personalized and transparent wealth management services. Nest Wealth is Canada’s largest independent digital wealth management platform, offering both direct-to-investor and advanced business-to-business solutions.
Finding amazing people is one of the hardest parts of building a successful company. That’s why we take our culture and our people seriously. We are a proud recipient of ‘Great Place to Work’ for the past 3 years, ‘Best Workplaces for Inclusion’, ‘Best Workplaces in Technology’, and ‘Best Workplaces in Canada’ and we've recently been recognized as part of the top 10 scaling startups in Canada by CIX.
Before you apply, get an inside look into our culture and learn from team members who discuss what we’re building, recent problems we’ve solved, how/why we’ve made changes to our tech stack and what it’s like joining our team!
We are hiring a Staff (or Full-Cycle) Accountant who will play a key role in supporting the operations of Nest Wealth on its next stage of growth. Nest is looking for a self-motivated individual who loves to get their hands dirty but also maintains a strategic and big-picture outlook when making decisions. Reporting to the COO, and working within the close-knit operations team, the Accountant will ensure that finance and operations run smoothly and that financial reports are accurate and produced in a timely manner. This opportunity will allow a passionate team-player to grow professionally and personally, taking on new and interesting accounting challenges and supporting business initiatives while building up their leadership and management skills in the process. If you’re an analytical thinker with a strong work ethic and believe in continuous improvement, then read on!
What you’ll be doing:
- Accounting system administration (Xero + multiple software integrations)
- Customer invoicing & revenue recognition
- Accounts Payable, vendor bill processing, expense reports, and payments
- Bank and credit card reconciliations
- Process improvements and management of internal controls and documentation
- Financial Reporting:
- Manage the month-end close process and account-level reconciliations from start to finish for multiple Nest Wealth entities
- Post month-end journal entries including intercompany transactions
- Prepare financial statements at both individual subsidiary and consolidated level (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Cashflows) on monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Engage with auditors and manage the year-end audit process
- Prepare other necessary financial reports in line with Banking/Lender and OSC requirements
- Research accounting treatment under IFRS and ensure reports are in compliance with accounting standards
- Expense and vendor spend analysis, identifying key areas of value and/or cost-saving opportunities
- ARR/MRR by customer tables and SaaS metrics analysis
- Assist in the corporate and departmental budgeting process
- Develop financial models to help forecast revenue and expenses
- Contribute to cashflow forecasting once a thorough understanding of the business has been established
- File and pay monthly HST returns
- Assess/research tax nexus in the USA and file out of province PST/QST returns where necessary
- Manage relationships with 3rd party tax advisors/preparers for corporate annual returns, SR&ED claims, or when other in-depth tax assistance is required
How can you grow:
- Continual internal mobility opportunities as we scale (Senior Accountant/Senior Financial Analyst/Financial Controller)
- Learning and development stipend to put towards professional development
- Dedicated Udemy D.E.A.L Days (Drop Everything And Learn)
- Company-wide lunch & learns across the organization to learn more about FinTech
Why this role could be a good fit for you:
- You have 4+ years of experience in an accounting role (some public accounting experience preferred)
- You have a CPA designation (or are enrolled in CPA and expected to complete within 1 year)
- You have exhibited ownership of financial reporting, able to put a 3-statement model together from scratch
- You have intermediate to advanced Excel skills and are excited to leverage technology (Xero, Expensify, Dext, Cube, Google Sheets)
- You have a continuous improvement mindset with a drive towards automation and efficiency
- You have strong attention to detail, with an appetite for accuracy and a track record of analytical excellence
- You are hungry to “do it all” within the finance function at a growing organizations
- You are an observant and flexible team-player, able to build on existing foundations and processes
- Commitment: Embody our 4CE (Force) values! You are: Conscientious, Comfortable with Ambiguity, Competitive, Curious, and Expeditious.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
What you can expect with our interview process:
We understand interviewing can be a daunting experience, and we are here to support you every step of the way. Here is a step by step guide on what interviewing with us looks like:
1. 30 min “get to know you” interview with our Talent Team
2. Case study
3. 60 min “Meet the Hiring Manager” interview with our Controller
4. 60 min “Meet the Team” interview with our COO and Operations Manager
Our ideal time-to-hire is 28 days, we try our best to provide an efficient, engaging and enjoyable interview experience. All interviews are over video via Google Meet.
In addition to joining a phenomenal team, we offer support for you, professionally and personally:
Flexibility: An engaging remote-first culture in Canada coast-to-coast. Our employees have the latitude to take care of the other parts of their lives and be there for the things that matter to them
Comprehensive Compensation & Benefits: A competitive total compensation package that includes variable bonus, health and dental benefits, 3 weeks vacation, 10 days PTO.
Nest Wealth Equity: An employee stock option plan. We believe work means more when you have ownership in what we’re building
Learning & Development: Udemy Business license, Lunch & Learn opportunities, continual company wide workshops
Support for Growing Families: We welcome new additions with a generous parental leave top-up
A Connected team: Our social committee knows how to bring the fun! Team bonding game nights, workouts, wellness workshops, cooking classes and more.
Social Impact: We partner with Troop to help us make a tangible difference in the lives of our neighbours who need it most. Each month we donate $1000 to a local charity and best of all, we get to see how our support is creating an impact in our community. We also have a Employee-driven Resource Group (NWomen); two paid volunteer days annually.
We’re pretty self aware as a company, and we know there are some areas where we can do better:
Process: The Company is growing fast in all aspects, which is great. We are one of the Top 25 fastest growing private companies in Canada over the last 4 years. The hard part is that we don’t have the processes of a big company in place yet. We are counting on our people to help create that process, stand-up better efficiencies, and adjust quickly as we grow.
Challenges ahead: We have pivoted to where we see the best and biggest opportunity as an enterprise & B2B solution. This requires rigour, discipline and planning from the entire team as we address the functionality and features of our platform and like any pivots, there have been a few bumps in the road.
Transition: This is the key to our success and our ability to scale but there will be short-term challenges in making this transition. We are revisiting everything from marketing collateral, pricing, and the go-to-market plan - and calibrating it all to sync up with the strategy. That is a lot to do in a short period of time!
We believe in everyone
At Nest Wealth, we commit to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our company is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively advance our collective capabilities. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and encourage applications from people of all abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.