Accounting & Finance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
Here at Prodigy, we are working hard to achieve our mission of helping every child in the world to LOVE learning. We are looking for a Senior Accountant who thrives in a fast-paced environment, has a genuine interest in the North American SaaS ecosystem, and is excited to help build Prodigy’s financial backbone. This role reports to the Senior Accounting Manager on our Controllership team. In this role, your mission will be to support and accelerate Prodigy’s growth by learning, owning and improving various day-to-day finance and accounting tasks. Are you someone who is excited about the opportunity to help strengthen our finance processes from top to bottom? Apply today!
- Execute month-end and year-end close activities for all of Prodigy subsidiaries, by completing account reconciliations, appropriate detail-level support and analysis and reviewing the financial statements
- Build custom financial reports in NetSuite to support internal and external reporting requirements
- Support the interim and year-end audits by collaborating with external auditors, working closely with the internal team, and applying accounting expertise and principles to assist in the preparation of audited financial statements and accompanying notes
- Coordinate and facilitate in the filing of Canadian and US sales tax and related compliance, by reconciling balance sheet accounts with external data sources and validating the data flow into the accounting system
- Take the initiative to actively search for ways to automate and streamline accounting and financial reporting processes. This involves assessing system integrations and data flows to enhance the scalability of accounting and financial reporting operations
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and assist in the maintenance of internal controls and SOPs, by understanding business processes and applying accounting theory and business acumen
- Be a business partner to internal and external parties by working cross functionally, interpreting business activities and results, and gathering financial information
- Post-Secondary education in accounting or finance or equivalent
- Minimum 3-5 years progressive experience in full cycle accounting
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in MS Excel/Google Sheets
- Experience assisting with an audit and creating financial statements and notes
- Experience building customized reports NetSuite
- Impeccable analytical skills, critical thinking, and computer skills (Google sheets, NetSuite, Expensify)
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to communicate with all levels of the company, including senior management
- Comfortable with ambiguity, able to take ownership and lead, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Superior attention to detail as well as extremely organized and a motivated self-starter
- Experience in a SaaS environment
- Experience in Ed Tech
Working At Prodigy
- Why Prodigy? Here at Prodigy, our employees are the foundation of our organization - an asset that transforms our mission into a reality! For this reason, we offer our employees a Total Rewards Program that is geared towards their financial, physical and mental well-being.
- Employees receive full health benefits from day one! Including separate allocation for mental health.
- Employee stock options and savings plan
- $500.00 to create your own work from home set-up
- We pride ourselves on constant learning, which is why we offer our employees an annual learning fund of $1200.00
- Prodigy Savings Program (RRSP, TFSA)
- We value wellness, so in addition to wellness classes and benefits, we also offer an additional $720.00 fund to all employees
- Flexibility to choose whether you work from home or in-office, based on what works best on any given day
- Flexible working hours
- Monthly “no meeting day” Tuesdays
- Extended long weekends throughout the year!
- Want to work from anywhere in the world? We offer 4 weeks of "work from anywhere" per year!
- Get a sense of our culture through one of our news article written by the Toronto star There’s more to corporate culture than mandatory fun!, following an interview with our Chief People officer on how we create an engaging, flexible and fulfilling work environment! https://www.thestar.com/business/mars/2023/04/10/theres-more-to-corporate-culture-than-mandatory-fun.html
Please note: the privacy and security of our users are of the utmost importance to us, and all employees will be expected to act in accordance with Prodigy’s stringent security policies.
Follow us on Instagram to learn more, or visit our website at www.prodigygame.com to view additional benefits and perks and our Culture Blog.
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will work with you to meet your needs.