Securities Compliance Lead (Remote - Canada)
Join our small, fiery team on our mission to usher in the Bitcoin golden age. Shakepay is one of the fastest growing startups in Canada. We've grown 10x in the last year. 2% of Canadians use Shakepay. We're building something really special. We need true believers to join our team. We're looking for ambitious professionals with a thirst for knowledge that are interested in working with the most exciting financial innovation ever created: Bitcoin. Bitcoin is important because it enables wealth to be stored with a person without need for a third party. Its fundamental use-case as a store of value with a predictable monetary policy is having profound implications on freeing people into financial sovereignty.
Securities Compliance Lead
Shakepay is looking for a bright mind to head its securities compliance team as the Securities Compliance Lead. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Securities Compliance Lead will have a unique opportunity to bring to the next level our securities compliance framework. Shakepay is currently registered as a Money-Services Business and is in the process of registering as a Restricted Dealer and then as an IIROC dealer.
As a crypto trading platform, we have it all: the obsession of protecting customers with a robust compliance program, while keeping a playful mindset where creativity and agility is the core of how we operate. What took you 3 years to build in a previous role will take you 3 months at Shakepay. You’ll have the chance to grow in an exciting and novel regulatory environment. At Shakepay you will not just oil the machine, you will actually help build the core component of it.
- Lead Shakepay’s registration process as an IIROC dealer
- Exchange with securities authorities, including the provincial securities regulators and IIROC
- Manage Shakepay’s securities compliance monitoring and reporting according to the policies and procedures and applicable securities laws (including National Instrument 31-103)
- Establish and update policies and procedures for Shakepay’s securities compliance program
- Work on securities compliance initiatives as well as research, recommend and participate in the implementation of solutions to help enhance Shakepay’s securities compliance programs
- Collaborate with the Policy team in its effort of helping to create an efficient and fair regulatory regime for Canadian crypto trading platforms
- Stay up to date with any new developments in the securities regulatory regime applying to Shakepay
- Collaborate with the AML Compliance team to harmonize compliance processes
- Lead internal and external securities audits
- Train and supervise other employees on securities compliance
- Improve customer satisfaction and experience when dealing with securities requirements
- Work on promoting ethical standards, monitoring and advising on a large number of subjects, to reduce risks while achieving business objectives
- 10+ years of securities compliance experience, including ideally at least 5 years in a leadership role in an IIROC registered firm
- Extensive knowledge of the regulatory requirements applicable to an IIROC dealer
- Experience with drafting, implementing, monitoring and training on securities compliance policies and procedures
- Experience in building and managing a compliance team
- Having previously passed the Officers’, Partners’ and Directors’ Exam, the Partners, Directors and Senior Officers Course Exam, or the Compliance Officers Qualifying Exam
Nice to have:
- Basic knowledge of Bitcoin and of the regulatory environment of crypto trading platforms
- Fluency in both French and English
- Legal background
You will get:
- Potentially life-changing stock options. We believe everyone at Shakepay should have the financial upside for building a generational company
- Remote-friendly work environment: work from anywhere in Canada. If you're in Montreal, you can work from the office
- Generous vacation time: we think time off is essential, and highly encourage it
- Personal development: we're here to help you define and hit your personal career goals so that you can get where you want to be
- Continued learning: every Shaker gets a yearly budget to spend on learning
- Employer-covered group insurance: health, dental, paramedical, disability and travel coverage to ensure you're at your best
- Get paid in Bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known
- A collaborative and friendly team: we succeed together and we have fun doing it
- MacBook: company-issued laptop to make sure you're doing your best work
- Equipment stipend: every Shaker receives a stipend to use toward setting up their home office
Shakepay helps Canadians buy and sell bitcoin and pay their friends. We offer web and mobile apps that make it easy for Canadians to buy bitcoin in minutes with Interac e-Transfer. Shakepay is the fastest-growing bitcoin platform in Canada. At Shakepay we're committed to promoting and celebrating diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. If you want to be a part of something momentous then we're excited to hear from you. Please note that while all of our roles are remote, we are a Canadian company and will not be sponsoring visas for this position. You must be eligible to work in Canada to be selected.
Something looks off?