Hardware CO-OP, Surgical Systems (12 months)
Synaptive Medical Inc.
Synaptive Medical is a Canadian medical device company, based in downtown Toronto, focused on supporting healthcare professionals and systems in patient diagnosis and treatment. Synaptive’s suite of products include MRI, surgical planning, navigation, and robotic visualization – all of which can be seamlessly combined or used independently in the operating room. The company has a number of opportunities for innovative people to join the team and share in the development of technologies to solve surgical and imaging challenges in patient care.
You love learning, designing, playing, and thinking about electronics. You are a new graduate and wish that you could make more circuit boards. As a Junior Electrical Developer, you can fulfil these wishes while creating life changing technology to help patients. You will be tasked to address the hardware requirements of the MRI team. This is a great opportunity to exercise your breadth of electrical engineering knowledge to help bring the latest MRI technology to market. You will be responsible for the design, prototype, debugging of board and system level designs that enable our MRI technology. You love tinkering with electronics and love to make things work. You pride yourself with the quality and consistency of your work because this facilitates the communication of controlled documents across our cross functional team. Finally, you see the outputs of your work installed in hospitals and impact the lives of patients around the world.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the MRI Team throughout the hardware design process including requirements generation, preliminary design, peer reviews, detailed design, test plan generation, and integration
- Validate and verify functionality of engineering prototypes with benchtop testing
- Build physical prototypes and perform rework by applying techniques such as soldering (including SMT), crimping, and other assembly methods
- System level electrical design including enclosures, cabling, and power planning
- Design printed circuit boards including schematics, stackup, floor planning, layout, and bill of materials
- Assess and debug design issues, identify and implement solutions
- Devise tests used for design verification and validation and for production use
- Practice and enforce a high level of engineering standards in their drawings and deliverables
- Assist with firmware development
- Collaborate with Quality Engineers to define and perform testing for design verification including EMC testing and other external laboratory testing related to electrical safety requirements
- Work closely with other team members and the QA team to ensure quality and punctual development
- Develop and execute test protocols and manage third-party standards testing
- Work closely with manufacturing team to evaluate design for manufacturability and facilitate design transfer
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Familiarity with electronic test equipment such multimeters, oscilloscopes, and power supplies
- Ability to work in a diverse team and good interpersonal skills
It’d Be Amazing If You Had
- Experience with electrical design and related tools
- Embedded programming for microcontrollers and working knowledge of embedded buses (I2C, SPI, etc)
- Familiarity with RF concepts and measurement techniques
- Experience with automated testing of electronics
- Fluency in C and Python
- Extremely detail oriented
- Drives for consistency
- Takes personal pride in high standard of outputs
- Enjoys solving technical problems
- Motivated to work with other departments (Software, Manufacturing, Regulatory, etc.)
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-managing
Synaptive has a special duty to take a leadership role in protecting the health and wellbeing of its employees and the public. The COVID-19 vaccines are an important public health measure for mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and society. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or a reason protected by legislation why they cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Diversity & Inclusivity
Synaptive is based out of one of the most diverse countries in the world. This includes differences related to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression and presentation, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability and socioeconomic status. To us, diversity is one our strongest assets to our organization. We commit ourselves to promoting the recognition and appreciation of our diverse and rich culture. We believe that it is critical to our success to promote freedom of thought and opinion in a respectful environment. The decisions we make are rooted by respectfully considering each other’s thoughts and opinions and by working towards a greater common goal, saving lives.
Synaptive Medical is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. If as a qualified job applicant, you request accommodation, Synaptive will consult with you to provide reasonable accommodations according to your specific needs. If you wish to make a request, you will be provided an opportunity if your application is selected to proceed in our hiring process.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise stated, applications will only be considered from candidates eligible to work in Canada, or the country in which they’re applying to, without sponsorship.
If you are interested in this position and can demonstrate that you meet or exceed the requirements defined in the job description, please include #GOBRAIN in the top right corner of your resume and then complete your online application by clicking “Apply Now” and following the prompts.
The successful candidate to this role will be asked to complete background checks, which may include criminal, credit, employment and/or educational checks. All offers of employment are conditional on the receipt of satisfactory results of any applicable background check.
We would like to thank everyone who submits an application. Due to the volume that we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
Something looks off?