Intermediate Product Experience Designer
Marketing & Communications, Product, Design
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2022
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 85 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We’re looking for a Product Experience Designer who cares deeply about understanding users to create product experiences that users continually engage with and ultimately pay for. You are adept at bridging user motivations towards business outcomes and paying attention to the design details that will keep users reading on Wattpad, participating in the Wattpad community, and paying for premium content, features, and experiences. You have been directly engaged with research user needs, setting user experience priorities, delivering buildable and accessible designs, and evaluating launched experiences to drive the next iteration.
What you'll be doing:
- Discover and define the underlying user needs and values that will motivate Wattpad users to engage more consistently and deeply
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers, Researchers and Product Marketers to identify user needs, design seamless interactions, and create experiences that keep users coming back for more
- Design the UX and UI flows across platforms (web, iOS, AN) that accessible and scalable
- Develop your design leadership skills by contributing to Wattpad’s existing design practices in mentoring other designers, facilitating design workshops, and leading design events both within Wattpad and with the design community at large
What we're looking for:
- 3-5 years of experience with end-to-end product design where you have conducted user discovery, delivered detailed user interface designs and journeys, measured results, and iterated towards a more valuable user experience and improved business outcomes at a senior level
- Experience in shipping product
- Have contributed as a strong design leader with product managers and engineers in a cross-functional team environment
- Have cross-platform design experiences (web, iOS, AN)
- Have experience conducting user discovery and research
- An analytical approach with experience looking at user experience metrics to measure performance and identifying opportunities for improvement
- Self-starter who is comfortable working in ambiguity and able to collaborate well in a remote working environment
- Proficient in design and facilitation tools such as Figma and Miro
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, Interaction Design, HCI, or related discipline
How to apply:
- A link to your online portfolio, or PDF if necessary, is required. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered
- If parts of your portfolio involved group work, please explain your specific role in the project
- Briefly explain why you are a particularly excellent candidate for this role at Wattpad and what parts of your portfolio are especially relevant
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Halifax.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.
See more open positions at Wattpad
Something looks off?