PR Manager (12-month contract)
Marketing & Communications
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 85 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a passionate, media-savvy, experienced, and hands-on PR Manager to join our PR & Communications Team. Reporting into the Head of PR & Communications, you will work closely with Wattpad’s integrated PR, marketing, Studio, content, and product teams to plan and execute global PR campaigns, generating media coverage for our brand and authors. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a background in technology, consumer & lifestyle PR, or journalism.
What you'll do:
- Connect and collaborate with teams across Wattpad to uncover compelling stories about our product, our writers, their stories and readers--with a focus on our next hits in the making--developing can’t-miss US and global PR campaigns.
- Proactive and reactive global media & Influencer relations to increase Wattpad’s presence in top-tier, mainstream press (across technology, business, consumer & lifestyle beats), showcasing how Wattpad is changing the future of storytelling and enabling writers to build global fandoms around their work and grow their careers.
- Educate consumers and media about the power of Wattpad’s storytelling technology, and the growing popularity of the webnovel format for the Creator Economy.
- Work closely with our content, data, and business teams to develop trend stories based on region and content-specific insights and reading/writing behavior on Wattpad.
- Manage a high-performing PR agency, and work with the Head of PR & Communications to build a network of international agency vendors to support our business.
- Prepare for and staff interviews, ensuring our Leadership Team and writers can shine in every media encounter.
- Generate and manage speaking and event opportunities for Leadership Team and writers.
- Develop external speeches and presentations, including researching, writing, and building slides.
- Prepare and manage budgets and invoicing on a monthly basis.
- Provide operations oversight of reporting to showcase the value PR adds to our organization
- Build new processes to support an evolving international business, including sourcing new tools to support the Wattpad’s PR practice
What we're looking for:
- You have 5-7 years experience in journalism, or experience in Consumer or Tech PR.
- Someone who understands journalism and what makes a great news story - you aren’t afraid to pick up the phone and tell media our story.
- You are a strong writer: you can put words together in a compelling way, modifying for audience and complexity, while always producing clear and articulate copy.
- A savvy and motivated Communications pro, who can dive into a number of beats and easily talk about consumer trends and entertainment.
- You really love operations and process -- making sure everything is organized in a way that increases efficiency makes you happy.
- A team player, who gets equally excited about building a strategy as you do in executing tactics.
- You love to read and/or write; you are a natural fit for Wattpad!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Halifax.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.
See more open positions at Wattpad
Something looks off?