Director of Programmatic & Ad Ops
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 85 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
The Director of Programmatic & Ad Ops will play a key role in overseeing Wattpad’s programmatic advertising business. Using your deep experience and subject matter expertise in publisher monetization and ad tech, you will create and implement strategies that align with Wattpad’s company goals to drive, grow and deliver advertising revenue.
What you will be doing:
- Grow Wattpad’s advertising revenue across all platforms in collaboration with leaders across Wattpad’s Business Operations, Direct Sales, Product and Engineering teams:
- Continuously evaluate current ad tech partners and programmatic stack (i.e. Max, Nimbus, Magnite, Amazon Publisher Services etc.) and drive investments to evolve our programmatic offering
- Lead efforts to identify and onboard new revenue partners (including contract negotiations/legal review, financial and operational processes, in conjunction with our legal and finance resources)
- Actively explore new advertising revenue opportunities across Wattpad
- Lead operation functions of Wattpad’s programmatic advertising business:
- Manage Programmatic & Ad Operations team (including traffickers and analysts)
- Continuously optimize Wattpad’s programmatic stack and set-up, and manage SSP and programmatic partnerships
- Monitor and report on all programmatic channels and activity
- Lead and execute on inventory pricing strategy - manage, approve, and maintain advertiser floors and advertiser channel management strategy
- Forecast and manage display ad inventory
- Manage SSP and Programmatic Partnerships:
- Facilitate troubleshooting between support teams, technology, and partners.
- Work with platform partners to test ad tags, traffic, and implement programmatic deals
- Assist when needed in all aspects of invoicing and billing of strategic partnership advertisers including payment disputes, credit adjustments, and collections.
- Forecast programmatic advertising revenue in collaboration with Business Operations & Finance, and monitor the health of the business
What we’re looking for:
- At least 10+ years of hands-on experience in the publisher monetization / advertising technology space
- Deep experience on the publisher-side of programmatic advertising in a content industry
- Must include experience working with online ad serving, SSPs and programmatic systems
- Experience creating and executing on advertising monetization strategies
- Experience managing cross-functional teams
- Strong analytical and quantitative skill with the ability to interpret data analysis and modeling results into actionable recommendations
- Strong understanding of the programmatic landscape and current industry trends, challenges in the marketplace, and understanding of the competition.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to lead conversations with existing and potential partners
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and tight deadlines is vital
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Halifax.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Don’t meet all the requirements? Studies show women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs if they do not meet all the qualifications. Therefore, in an effort to build a more diverse workplace, we encourage you to apply anyways. You might actually be the right person or you may be a good fit for a number of other openings we currently have.