Data Infrastructure Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2023
We believe small businesses are at the heart of our communities, and championing them is worth fighting for. We empower small business owners to manage their finances fearlessly, by offering the simplest, all-in-one financial management solution they can't live without.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Data Platform and Operations, as a Data Infrastructure Engineer you will be building tools and infrastructure to support efforts of the analytics, ML and the business as a whole.
We’re looking for a talented, curious self-starter who is driven to solve complex problems and can juggle multiple domains and stakeholders. This highly technical individual will collaborate with all levels of the Data team as well as the various engineering teams to develop data solutions, scale our data infrastructure and advance Wave to the next stage in our transformation as a data-centric organization.
This role is for someone with proven experience in complicated product environments. Strong communication skills are a must to bridge the gap between technical and non-technical audiences across a spectrum of data maturity.
Here's how you'll make a difference:
- You’re a builder. You’ll be responsible for the design, build and deployment of our data pipelines - batch, incremental and stream-based.
- You’ll make things better. You will collaborate within a cross-functional team in the planning and roll-out of data infrastructure services.
- You'll build relationships. As a strong software engineer who works with data, you’ll have people coming to you for technical assistance. You will be helping them succeed, and your outstanding ability to communicate with people will help them do that.
- We love our customers at Wave. Your customers are internal, and external too. You can take a look at existing structures and systems and know how to help our internal customers surface the data they need to excel in serving our external customers.
- You’ll drive process and tool improvements to enable data-driven decisions across Wave. Your work will mean something and have an impact on the company - our team relies on data, analytics and ML insights being delivered reliably to make smarter business decisions.
You'll thrive here if:
- You’re self-motivated and have the ability to work autonomously. No one’s going to be peering over your shoulder here. We count on you to get your work done, in ambiguous conditions, with tight deadlines, while still producing high-quality work.
- You are all about collaboration. You enjoy working with different teams across Wave. We follow Scrum practices within an agile framework.
- You value personal and team development. You enjoy mentoring junior engineers in honing new skills, while helping your team to identify the most important aspects of engineering and best practices.
- You are a stellar communicator. This means you know how to translate technical terms into non-technical language that your grandma could understand.
- Enjoy the challenge of helping us build and manage a fault-tolerant data platform that scales.
These will help you succeed:
- At least 3 years of experience in data engineering, specifically in building data pipelines and data infrastructure. This is important because this is what you’ll be doing most of the time, and we need someone who’s done this a lot.
- At least 3 years of experience working with cloud infrastructure, including container development with Kubernetes and Docker infrastructure as code (IaC) using Terraform and GitOps or other infrastructure automation on AWS.
- Experience building messaging and stream processing capabilities using Confluent or Kafka MSK and its related components.
- Experience working with multi-stage workflows using serverless services.
- Previous experience building data lakes using Delta Lake or Apache Hudi.
- Experience performing hands-on development, leading code reviews and testing, and leveraging automated frameworks.
- Experience developing and deploying solutions leveraging CI/CD processes to orchestrate automated batch and NRT (Near Real Time) pipelines running AWS Glue and dbt data transformations.
- Experience using Python, SQL and dbt.
- Experience working with cloud integration tools such as AWS Glue or AWS EMR.
- Working knowledge of data integration tools such as FiveTran, Stitch and Census.
- Knowledge and practical experience with Data Vault 2.0 on Redshift or another data warehouse is a definite bonus!
At Wave, you’re treated like the incredible human being you are.
Work From Where You Work Best: We will always have a welcoming, energizing, and world-class office (in Toronto) with a space for you. Or, if you’re more comfortable working from home, the choice is yours.
We Care About Future You: You will stretch yourself and you will grow at Wave. You will also be supported on this journey with diverse learning experiences, educational allowances, mentorship, and so much more.
We Support the Full You: We make a serious investment in your health & wellness. When we think about benefits we think about body, mind, & soul and we take this stuff very seriously.
We Take Care of the Fundamentals: Fair compensation, all the office perks you’d want, and the various goodies you’d expect from a growing tech company. This is the obvious stuff, but we don’t want you to think we forgot!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture creates the best workplace. We embrace our differences, value individuality, and the broad spectrum of every Waver's skills and abilities. We challenge each other from a place of respect and pursuit of continuous growth. We trust each other and encourage everyone to bring their authentic selves to work, everyday. As Wavers, our voices matter, our opinions are met with an open mind. The best ideas win, no matter whose they are. Contributing to an inclusive culture is a part of all of our job descriptions.
We’ve been continuously recognized as one of Canada's Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures and one of Canada’s Great Places to Work in categories including Technology, Millennials, Mental Health, Inclusion and Women.
Are you ready to be a Waver? Join us!